Sky Pirate's Den

Sky Pirate's Den

Thursday, September 29, 2011

FFIII Playthrough

I know, I know, it seems like these playthroughs are all I write about nowadays. I am really excited for this game because I've heard so much about how it was a game that pretty much defined the series. The battle system is the basic framework of what became the generic battle systems for the Final Fantasies that followed it, up until FFX, I believe. Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II, in my opinion, were prototypes; THIS is what should truly be the first Final Fantasy of the series.

Now I know I said I would never play one of the old games ever, but that was before I knew anything about FFIII. Given that FFIV is the first Final Fantasy to give an illusion or trace of a plot, I always figured FFIII was just like FFII and FF, but I was wrong. FFIII, from what I know, is similar to those games, but it is more colorful. Plus, the game was remade for the DS. Now, why did I choose FFIII over FFIV and FFV? Simply because of how much I've heard that this game is a better game than FFIV and FFV, even though it is nothing compared to the rest of the later games in the series (while FFXIII might actually be considered worse by most, however. I still think I would like FFXIII more due to the fact that there is a plot and that there are actual characters and not just people with names). This game has an interesting medieval setting, since it sounds more Scandinavian than Medieval, but I think that's just me. This game is also the first game to feature MOOGLES, by far my favorite video game race ever created. It is also the first to feature chocobos. Forget about FFII, they play a much smaller role in that game than in this one. Also, the Cid in this game is the first true Cid for A) having an airship from the start, and B) for not dying.

The thing that should make this experience interesting is the whole Job System, because that is something I never experienced in any of the Final Fantasies I played since in those games, roles for characters are already predetermined by their base stats and such, like in FFXIII. FFXII took it in a strange direction and made it based on what equipment you use and nothing else. They later remade the game to include Jobs, but that's a remake, not a new game. Anyway, I hope I can figure out the Job System real quickly because if not, I am screwed. As for my playthrough, don't expect to see it finished. I don't know if I will have time to finish the game before I leave, but we'll see. Also, the FFIII playthrough is going to be the last playthrough I write for a while, so be prepared for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment