Sky Pirate's Den

Sky Pirate's Den

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Possible Migration to Wordpress

I am starting to consider switching over to Wordpress lately. I like Blogger, it has been my platform for over ten years, but as times change, so do demands and standards. Wordpress is pretty much the blogging platform many people use, from professionals to enthusiasts alike. Even my job is going to have me start using Wordpress pretty soon to write a blog for their company. Blogger has been a nice and fun place, and a couple of my favorite people on the Internet still continue to use it, but it has never felt the same ever since Google started to run it. Adsense doesn't really make all that much sense to me. The interface feels really sterile at best, and is buggy at worst. Blogger keeps tracking my own pageviews after setting that option off several hundred times already. For some reason there are options to delete a comment and remove a comment, and even weirder there are no options to undo removing comments (found out the hard way when I accidentally removed one of my comments explaining something in Final Fantasy Type-0). It's starting to get pretty dated for me, and I think it's only indicative that it's time to switch as most other bloggers have done by now.

This is not something I consider doing overnight. First I am going to go to Wordpress and start my continuation of this blog there without changing or removing this one. This blog is currently in the middle of my biggest project so far, The Metroid Retrospective and 30th Anniversary Game Reviews (AM2R and Federation Force). To shut it down in the middle of that just seems a little disorganized to me. So what I plan to do is this: keep this blog, finish my AM2R post here (sorry that is, once again, running late by the way), launch my Wordpress blog, attempt to copy every post from here to Wordpress, and then continue rolling out my Metroid Anniversary posts on both blogs, which will give me time to adjust and figure out how much I'll remain committed to Wordpress. Assuming that will be the case, once the Anniversary posts are complete, that will be the time to bid this platform adieu.

Blogger has been a wonderful site for me, for ten years, ever since I first heard about it through my father's best friend, who used to be huge into blogging and who recently passed away. He is the one who really kickstarted my interest in this thing, so I really dedicate my two blogs here (I also have a personal blog) to him for showing me a part of the Internet that I've fallen in love with and had the pleasure of growing up with as the Internet took form over the years.

See you folks on the other side when the time comes. Oh yeah, and I am trying really hard to find the time for the AM2R post. Federation Force came out this weekend, and as such, I found myself really caught up getting impressions of it. If you want to know now, I beat the game, and I can't say I'm disappointed, but I am truly sad that that is the best Nintendo had to offer for the series. You'll hear more from me about that later on, hopefully within two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment