Sky Pirate's Den

Sky Pirate's Den

Monday, September 16, 2013

BioShock Infinite Odds and Ends

I played the original BioShock so that I can finally see what started this series and how it relates to this game (which, aside from the upcoming Burial at Sea DLC, isn't a whole lot). I'm fairly impressed with it, what I find really interesting is that it almost felt like a totally different game. I mean, I knew that it would, but I wasn't expecting such a huge degree of difference. I think I still like Infinite better, which probably goes against everyone's consensus that the first is better, but come on. While Rapture is quite an immersive environment (especially for the game's time), it isn't a completely breathing environment (I mean, hello, everything is dead or screwed up on ADAM). Also, while I wasn't expecting much of a story aspect to this game, the lack of a real plot detracted from the game a little. I especially hate it that (SPOILER ALERT) this whole game is spent being someone else's pawn, especially through mind control. Mind control is one of the cheapest plot devices to use, but this game is relatively old and it really isn't meant to be that story-driven, and I understand and accept that.

I also bought the season pass for BioShock Infinite, so I'll be getting the Burial at Sea stuff as they come out. Nobody has any idea when those will be released, but Ken Levine said that everything should be out by March 2014, so there's that. Since I bought the season pass, I also got Clash in the Clouds thrown in with that, so I decided I'd check it out. I knew it was mainly a "horde mode," wave of enemies styled fighting mode that exists outside of the story and feels completely bizarre and surreal whenever I stop and think, I wonder when this would've taken place if it did happen. Well anyway, so I knew about that wave mode thing. What I didn't know was that this addon has a "museum" of sort, where you can unlock character models, concept art, music, and even videos on the game's development. I haven't seen such an ingame goodie room since the days of Ratchet and Clank, when they would include a literal entire world, known as the Insomniac Museum, full of concept art, "lost levels," things the developer's used to test the game, and so on. It was insane the kinds of things they included in those places. BioShock Infinite's museum doesn't really live up to that awesomeness, but it's still pretty neat anyway.

So meta.
I just really can't wait for Burial at Sea though. It take's place on the New Year's Eve Riots, like, hello! In spite of what that would suggest, I think if I'm not mistaken, Levine said that the first part of the DLC won't really feature combat as we know it in Infinite's main story. He said something about a system that's meant to get you looking all around Rapture and stuff. It would be cool to see the places from BioShock 1 in it, but he said they were making whole new areas since those others were meant to look dilapidated. Still, I'm sure there'll be something that Rapture fanatics would recognize.

Also in the museum, after finishing each stage, there was a little extra surprise in store...


I think of it as a tease for Burial at Sea. I'm not sure when it was announced exactly, but I don't think this easter egg came out before the announcement of the future DLC. Whatever the case, this is pretty awesome and I am so looking forward to Burial at Sea when it's out! I even managed to make a poster out of the first episode's "cover art," as I got lucky enough to find an image with 200dpi!

As for my Timeless Isle post for World of Warcraft, that might come out a little after Tuesday. No promises though, things at school are getting out of hand a bit in terms of how much work I am getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment