Sky Pirate's Den

Sky Pirate's Den

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

New Leaf: Days 2 Through 8

I don't have a whole lot to say, I think. I've come to learn that a lot of the things in New Leaf need to be unlocked, which takes like weeks to fully complete, so most of my time is spent making bells. Also, I think that I need to migrate screenshots from the SD card to my computer, contrary to my belief that I could email the pictures from the 3DS. So yeah, no pictures for you guys yet.

I don't know for sure if I mentioned this or not, but like an idiot I checked out the HHA Showcase right when it opened and was actually surprised to find that there were no houses available even though it was clear to me that I hadn't StreetPassed with anyone yet.




Also, how the hell are Digby and Isabelle twins? I guess you could say they sort of look like the same breed.




On my second day, I was ready to start building everything in the game, so I went over to Isabelle to find that I need a permit to be the mayor, which I found funny considering just the day before the town seemed willing to take any bum off the train as their new mayor. I had trouble getting approved because I did all of the one-time methods of getting points, and after I watered all my flowers and pulled all my weeds, I realized I could only help villagers in order to gain approval rating. And in a fit of terrible luck, Elvis's birthday was today, so him and Elise were busy partying all day. I mean, I first saw then partying at noon, and then at one in the morning I checked up on them and they were still celebrating. What the hell?

So with two options out of the question, I had to rely on my three other villagers for help, and of course Dora was out shopping at eleven at night for some reason. So I was down to Puck and Tutu, and no matter how many times I spoke to them, I was never asked to do any favors. It was frustrating, especially when I looked to see if anyone else had this issue and everyone else was saying they did approval nonsense in one hour. Yeah, okay.

Eventually, the Summer Island opened up for me and I was able to go over there. I took on deep-sea diving, although most of the deep-sea creatures are honestly not all that interesting. I also did some solo tours. As the week progressed, I unlocked more solo tours to do, but regardless of difficulty, most of these were fairly easy. I'm trying to save the medals for a wetsuit, but I've yet to see a wetsuit in that place. I did find a Mermaid Floor, which I actually happened to like. Then I saw what the Mermaid Series is and so I decided to break male gender roles and commit a room of my house to being a mermaid room. But right now I only just bought a second floor, so that will probably wait a while. Expanding the house is getting costlier by the day (I bought a second floor expansion, which was 498,000 bells), but thankfully I have found quite an incredible method of making bells.

My goodness this sounds like a song about cancer.

This guy is so sad.

Ummmm.... Ooookaaaay. Somebody's getting too frisky on this boat.

It says that the palm tree beetles appear at five in the afternoon, but I don't really see them until seven at night. Also at that time, sharks like to swim around. All of these things appear in the Summer, but thankfully it's always Summer on the Island! So at seven I head down and walk in circles, catching rare beetles and sharks. This takes about an hour for me to fill up the dropbox in the lobby, but when I sell everything to Reese, I make about a hundred-fifty to two hundred thousand bells at once! So this will be my primary method of making money throughout this game.

When I was finally able to attend to mayoral duties, I set the town ordinance to Bell Bloom to further increase whatever money I make from Reese. Over the past few days, I built a couple of bridges, a camping site, and a yield sign as per Colton's request (which makes me wonder, nobody drives, so why do we need a yield sign?). I probably don't need to fulfill direct requests like that, but I have a feeling doing so will benefit me somehow in the long run. I found that I need to do a variety of things to get the museum upgraded, the most notable being that I needed to donate one item of each category, which for a while was a problem as I had no art to give. It's funny because I already had more than half of the fish and bugs donated to the museum, and about a quarter of the fossils as well, but with an empty art exhibit. Thankfully, Crazy Redd came over yesterday and actually had a piece of art that wasn't a counterfeit, which was the Valiant Statue. I love that you can spot the counterfeits now, and sometimes it is pretty amusing to see how certain pieces are counterfeits. Like for example, my Valiant Statue would have bat wings instead of angel wings if it was a fake. Colton also came by later and gave me a Jolly Painting out of nowhere (finally a villager gives me something good!), but when I looked at it I found the guy had a carrot for a nose, thus making it a counterfeit (I knew it was too good to be true, damn these useless villagers).

I find that I am, for the most part, walking around with an abundance of money even after spending a couple hundred thousand bells on public works projects or upgrades to my house, so I'm trying to get the Nookling's store and the Able Sisters shop upgraded, but this is going at a snail's pace. I especially need Nookling's to get upgraded to T&T's so that I can get a slingshot already, and possibly more fortune cookies. I'm tired of going there and seeing barely anything for sale. As for the Able Sisters, it seems that Sable as taken Isabelle's place in being the flirt, which was a bit unexpected for me seeing as how she starts off all like "..." when I started talking to her. I knew she gets more friendly and all, but I didn't know that Mable would start telling me about how Sable would talk endlessly about me and how she wanted more employees to help out so that she could spend time with me... So strange how all the female animals are all over me in this game. I guess that's the perk of being the mayor?

Nothing else has really went down yet. Oh wait, I also managed to StreetPass with a couple of people from my mom's apartment complex, both women. They have cool houses and stuff, and one of them happened to have a full Mermaid set somehow, so I got to see what that looked like. She also had the rainbow screen, which was strangely available for purchase, so now I have all of the downloadable "exclusives" so far. The other girl had something even more interesting: the Aurora Screen, which apparently was only available as a Japan-exclusive download.


Forgot to include pictures of the interior and the other house.
Also, one of the villagers that moved in was a female dog named Cherry, who I think is new in this game. She has the new "Uchi" personality, in which the character with this trait acts like an older sister to you. I wanted to see what this was like, although it kind of eluded me that I'd have to be better friends with Cherry after a while as opposed to being so right off the bat. Uchi is actually supposed to be a mix of peppy, normal, and snooty, and I hate snooty villagers because they tend to make things difficult to be friends with. So combine this with "peppy" and now I have a confusing mix of traits causing me to wonder if Cherry is actually cool with me or not. I have made her sing a few times in one day, though, so I'm sure things are just fine.

Oh yeah, and also a character named Daisy (another female dog) came by and pitched a tent at the campsite. I played several gambles with her, and I made a fair amount of money but man there was hardly any good furniture. I just got a couple of things that were okay: a lefty cat and a Tearoom Wall. The notable thing that happened was that she kept saying "it's so nice here," and so I kept suggesting her to move her, and then I found myself gambling for her to move to town. I didn't actually want her to move in because my town is nearly full and I still don't have a cat villager, but I was curious and before I knew it, I was betting my fishing rod. Nookling's is a pretty stupid store at this point, as I've rarely ever seen a fishing rod for sale, so I decided I wasn't going to just lose my rod over a space for someone else to move in. This game wasn't really a gamble as I had to "guess" the most price-fetching insect, and the golden stag was listed among a fly, a mosquito, and a flea, so there was absolutely no challenge to this at all. Even without knowing what bug makes the most bells, I could've figured this out just as easily by guessing from the stag's name. The answer was so obvious I was worried that I actually got it wrong for a moment.

I might have to drive someone out of my town, and I'm guessing it'll have to be either Kody or Puck. I haven't spoken to Kody at all, but he might be cool. Puck honestly annoys me sometimes, so right now he seems to be the most likely candidate. I initially thought of kicking Elise out, but that I realized that urge was due to some racism against monkeys.

Hopefully next time I'll have quite a ton of things to share. I've seen somebody with practically everything after having played this game for a couple and a half weeks. I want all that stuff already!

Update: Added some photos. Also, here are some photos I couldn't find a place for above.



That's smart: place your humongous stag next to your tea set.

Wow, Elvis is so posh! He has a harpsichord and not one, but TWO thrones!

Later he asked me to catch a Great White for him, and thus he displays it in his home.
That's a nice pet to have swimming around in your house.

Sahara came and criticized my original matching floor and wallpaper, so she went with what she thought would be better: an exquisite carpet that looks completely out of place against the shanty wall. Also, why would any interior designer recommend making my walls look like something out of a slum?

No comments:

Post a Comment